E-learning is one of the fastest growing sectors across the planet which today goes beyond educational institutions. Organizations are seeking solutions that help them boost the professional level of their employees, improve corporate communications and so enhance their business operations in the long run.
Our client is one of the leading educational platforms utilized primarily by companies and organizations, sometimes schools and universities, to build custom training programs, questionnaires, quizzes, etc. The solution focuses on creating content for internal training and conducting research within organizations.
The main goal of the project is to create custom training programs, quizzes, questionnaires, general information regarding corporate activities, and so on. Therefore, the major tasks included advancing and supporting all the components of the solution so that it can be easily updated and modified to meet the needs of all the parties. The platform consists of the client portal, web application, and Android and iOS mobile applications.
Based on the above, the scope of tasks the Agiliway team had to perform consisted of:
- re-developing mobile apps
- re-building web application
- rewriting the portal to a different programming language and changing the UI completely and partially the back-end
- adding new functionality to simplify the content creation process (adding new types of files, changing their size)
What we did
Since the client’s project has been around for over a decade, it was crucial to not only make it a better version for the existing users but also attract new ones. Among the major modifications the Agiliway team performed were:
- 1. Rewriting the portal to a different programming language was performed to save time and effort, therefore, money, to maintain the platform operations and flexibility. A more modern and user-friendly design was created which grew satisfaction with the system from content creators. From the technical point of view, the platform became simpler in terms of introducing changes, therefore requiring less time and people to upgrade it.
- 2. The UI was changed for web and mobile apps which also improved the overall user experience from interacting with the platform. The participants will no longer need any additional training on how to properly use the platform: everything is built in a very logical yet appealing way.
- 3. Fixing old bugs which impacted the overall functionality of the system. Since the project underwent many changes in the team, a lot of code required refactoring, which in the long run would cost a lot more than rebuilding the applications. After a thorough analysis, the decision was made to rewrite the existing code, adding new features and technologies that are easy to maintain and require fewer changes to the back-end and front-end.
- 4. Participants, i.e., learners or recipients of the information, can consume the content, respond to questionnaires, solve quizzes, etc. while content creators on the other hand can build and edit these training programs, track analytics (e.g., who and how many times replied to the quizzes, etc.). For this, our team utilized the best UI practices to make the interaction smooth, fruitful, and beneficial for both parties. Now, the platform not only is more visually appealing but also functional as it supports various types and sizes of documents and files. This way it opens limitless opportunities and addresses all possible types of learning activities and information delivery.
It could be challenging sometimes to introduce the changes to the platform in cases where the client’s needs are exceeding the capacities of the team. When we talk about timing and further support, the main requirement would be to put a little effort into upgrading the system or introducing these changes without drastically modifying it. And this is where the Agiliway team consults the client on how they can improve their platform with specific solutions based on our experience in E-learning. The greatest benefit in the given collaboration is that both parties get what they want: the development team based on their experience provides the best option for the project, whereas the client gets flexible and scalable solutions, satisfied customers, therefore, business growth.
Since our client’s platform has been on the market for many years now, it was significant to introduce technical changes so that it became more modern, flexible, and user-friendly.
Within the development process, it became clear that the majority of the system is outdated and fixing and supporting it would be more costly and challenging, therefore the decision to rebuild it seemed reasonable. After a while and a few implementations, the client received a platform with better design, more functionality, and simpler support, which, eventually, showed great results and not only met their expectations but exceeded them.
Partnering with Agiliway, the client received a stable team of professionals with extensive knowledge and experience in the field of E-learning and software development which resulted in satisfied platform users and business growth.