An unending flow of new hardware, innovative ideas, brand new gadgets and enhanced solutions has become a common world practice. We have smoothly moved to February, one more month rich in tech news and, consequently, innovative ideas and worthy deliverables. Along with such well known technical giants as Apple, Microsoft, Google, etc., unknown startups and small businesses are well worth our attention as well.
So, let’s get started.
MICROSOFT RELEASED ITS UNIFIED OFFICE APP FOR ANDROID
Yes, it definitely does. Finally, all the tech world gets access to an ‘all-in-all productivity’ application for the users of Android phones. The app enables you:
- to work with PowerPoint, Word and Excel with no need to switch the apps;
- to look through your documents existing with Office Lens;
- to read QR codes;
- and much more.
However, the provider warns that its Unified Office app is more optimized for tablets and has no iOS analog. The given mobile application will definitely enhance mobile productivity and save your time by offering a real possibility to handle several types of work simultaneously.
ANDROID 11 IS NOW AVAILABLE IN DEVELOPER PREVIEW FORM
To continue the theme of Android enhancement and implementation, it would sound proper to mention the first draft of a final version of Android 11 being announced. Yet unpolished, the release provides an opportunity to peep into the additional features and services of the new model. It proposes:
- advanced APIs connectivity;
- an improvement of the call-screening service;
- API and Pass point enhancements;
- notification section widening (a possibility to add images to the replies);
- updated Neural Networks API for security improvement and operational expansion.
In May 2020, during an I/O developer conference, we are bound to get more information on the Android 11 release.
REVOLUT RAISES $15 MILLION AT A $5,5 BILLION VALUATION
This is a bright example of a startup becoming highly successful. Revolut is a Fintech company, which continues surprising tech community with its financial profits and quick expansion on the market. This time Revolut raises a considerable Series D round of funding. The funding has been famous for such investors as Index Ventures, DST Global, and much more. According to the statistics, the startup earned $836 million in total for the past few years.
What do we know about this amazingly profitable and promising company?
- It has been developing applications to replace a traditional bank accounting service. With these apps, every client can open an account as well as make various financial transactions in a few minutes.
- It enhanced in-house partnerships greatly (insurance packages, phone insurance, buying shares and much more).
- It can boast about having at least 10 million customers in Europe mostly.
What is more, Revolut is currently striving for its product improvement and is expanding to the US and Japan (while being popular in the UK, Europe, Australia and Singapore).
FACEBOOK’S LATEST EXPERIMENTAL APP LOOKS A LOT LIKE PINTEREST
According to CNN business news, a release of the latest experimental app of Facebook (FB) is full of controversies and rumors. ‘Hobbi’ is a new application allowing its user to save their activities’ photos while focusing on everyday topics (e.g. DIY projects, cooking, etc.). What is more, the app makes possible to organize photos collections. All the mentioned features Hobbi provides are claimed to be previously popularized by Pinterest.
Releasing cloned features and the apps critically similar to its rivals is nothing new in the history of FB. Nevertheless, the network administration is not embarrassed but feels positive and far-sighted instead:
“Many of the products we create will start small and may not resonate with everyone. And we expect many will be shut down as a result. That’s okay,” reads the team’s website.
POLESTAR TEASES AN ALL-ELECTRIC CONCEPT SEDAN RUNNING ANDROID AUTOMOTIVE
Polestar Precept is announced to be an innovative electric car made by a Volvo’s sub-brand. Polestar presents its new car as a successful combination of the usage of sustainable materials and in-depth integration with the Android Automotive operational system by Google. Mainly:
- environmentally friendly car image: electricity powered vehicle – no emissions, recycled cork vinyl bolsters, reclaimed fishing net carpets, etc.;
- A kind of a pioneer regarding Google embedded OS usage: a built-in driver recognition system, video streaming function, an expanded list of languages as well as local dialects understanding, and much more.
“This is not a dream of a distant future, Polestar Precept previews future vehicles and shows how we will apply innovation to minimize our environmental impact,” says Ingenlath, Chief Executive Officer at Polestar.
THE DRONES ARE COMING
The transportation sphere surprises us with tech innovations as well. The drone delivery business continues its development and integration into the modern world services. A large number of drone delivery schemes and systems are either on the go or still in prospect presently. Nevertheless, we can already talk about certain medical supplies and documents as well as food deliveries in various corners of the world. The benefits of the service are the following:
- lower costs;
- carbon emission reduction, etc.
Understandably, drone popularity in the industry will definitely increase and gain momentum in further years. However, even when such a delivery service becomes common, it is not likely to replace existing delivery methods and ways. We will probably see a mix of them in the near future.
Follow us for even more interesting news of the tech world in our monthly rubric. Stay constantly updated, expand your baggage of knowledge, and feel on top of the world.
READ ALSO: JANUARY 2020 TECH NEWS OVERVIEW